Vietnam/United States: Vietnam begins issuing 1-year visas to US travelers
Vietnam has begun issuing one-year, multiple-entry visas to U.S. nationals.
What does the change mean? U.S. nationals traveling to Vietnam for business or tourism are now eligible for visas with longer validity. Prior to the change, U.S. nationals were only eligible for visas that were valid for one or three months.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing. The change took effect Aug. 25.
- Visas/permits affected: One-year, multiple-entry visas.
- Who is affected: U.S. nationals traveling to Vietnam for business or tourism.
- Impact on processing times: The extended visa validity is expected to ease processing by reducing visa renewals.
- Business impact: U.S. business travelers who visit Vietnam frequently will save time because they won’t have to apply for visas more than once a year and will be able to leave and re-enter Vietnam for up to 90 days each time without obtaining a new visa.
Background: Vietnam’s National Assembly voted to extend the visa validity period for U.S. nationals in April. At the time, the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Vietnam said the deal underscored “the commitment of the U.S. and Vietnam to improve the bilateral relationship by expanding existing trade and economic opportunities and developing people-to-people ties.”
BAL Analysis: Officials hope the change will facilitate business travel and tourism and reduce the inconvenience of having to apply for visas more frequently.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Vietnam. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter: @BAL_Immigration
About Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP
Founded in 1980, Berry Appleman & Leiden (BAL) provides comprehensive global immigration services from seven offices across the U.S. and from offices in Geneva, London, Melbourne, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney. BAL manages global visa matters and customized application approaches for work permits, business visas, and residence permits in more than 100 countries. With a single cost center for worldwide operations, BAL offers centralized management with regional and local support for the complete spectrum of global immigration matters.