Canada: Invitations up again in latest Express Entry draw
What is the change? Canada conducted its 23rd Express Entry draw of 2016 Wednesday, issuing 2,080 invitations to apply. The lowest qualifying score was 472.
What does the change mean? The number of candidates invited to apply for permanent residency was the highest of any draw this year, up again from the last draw. The minimum score decreased slightly to 472 from 475 on Oct. 19.
- Implementation time frame: Ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: Permanent residency through Express Entry.
- Who is affected: Canadian companies sponsoring foreign nationals through one of four skilled migration programs: Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, Canadian Experience Class and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program.
- Business impact: The minimum qualifying score has remained under 600 in all draws this year, indicating that some candidates continue to be issued invitations to apply without having an LMIA-supported job offer or provincial nomination.
- Background: In 2015, Canada issued 31,063 invitations to apply through Express Entry. Officials projected a greater number for 2016, and have issued just 25,982 so far this year. The number of invitations has increased dramatically in the last two months.
Express Entry Draws in 2016:
|Jan. 6||1,463||461||June 15||752||488|
|Jan. 13||1,518||453||June 29||773||482|
|Jan. 27||1,468||457||July 13||747||482|
|Feb. 10||1,505||459||July 27||755||488|
|Feb. 24||1,484||453||Aug. 10||754||490|
|March 9||1,013||473||Aug. 24||750||538|
|March 23||1,014||470||Sept. 7||1,000||491|
|April 6||954||470||Sept. 21||1,288||483|
|April 20||1,018||468||Oct. 12||1,518||484|
|May 6||799||534||Oct. 19||1,804||475|
|May 18||763||484||Nov. 2||2,080||472|
BAL Analysis: More invitations to apply were issued in Wednesday’s draw than in any draw this year. The increase is consistent with the trend in the past two months toward an increase in the number of candidates invited to apply for permanent residency per draw. The drop in the minimum qualifying score is also positive news for Express Entry candidates, as it was the lowest minimum qualifying score since April.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Canada. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.