Germany, United States: German Consulate in Los Angeles to close temporarily
What is the change? The German Consulate in Los Angeles is scheduled to close for approximately three months, from January through March 2017, due to remodeling.
What does the change mean? Visa and passport applicants should schedule their appointments immediately via the online appointment system while appointments are still available. Visa and passport processing will cease during the closure.
- Implementation time frame: The consulate will be closed January through March 2017.
- Visas/permits affected: All visas.
- Who is affected: Individuals applying for visas or passports or needing other services at the German Consulate in Los Angeles.
- Impact on processing times: Applicants should expect a backlog during and after the closure.
- Business impact: Employers should plan for delays and may need to postpone start dates.
- Next steps: The consulate plans to announce alternative methods for filing visa and passport applications during the closure.
B·A·L Analysis: Foreign nationals applying for visas and German nationals applying for passports at the German Consulate in Los Angeles should plan to schedule their appointments and complete all business at the consulate by the end of the year. Additionally, applicants should factor in the holiday season and reduced staff and working hours at the consulate in December. Businesses should anticipate likely delays and a backlog. B·A·L will update clients as soon as the consulate sets out alternate procedures for Los Angeles applicants during the closure.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.