Australia, Ecuador: Work and Holiday visa arrangement signed with Ecuador
What is the change? Australia and Ecuador signed a reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangement this week.
What does the change mean? Under the agreement, a set number of individuals ages 18 to 30 from Australia and Ecuador will be able to apply for Work and Holiday visas. The visas will allow for Australian and Ecuadorian nationals to travel, work and study in each other’s countries for short-term stays.
- Implementation time frame: An implementation date has not been announced.
- Visas/permits affected: Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas.
- Who is affected: Eligible Australian and Ecuadorian nationals, ages 18 to 30, interested in travelling, studying and working in Australia or Ecuador.
- Business impact: Employers in Australia can generally hire individuals on Work and Holiday visas for up to six months.
- Next steps: Additional details, including eligibility criteria, will become available once a date for implementation of the arrangements is set.
Background: Once the arrangement is implemented, Ecuador will join Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, the United States and Uruguay to have a reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangement in place with Australia. Australia’s current Work and Holiday program allows foreign nationals to visit for up to one year, during which time they may study for up to four months and work for up to six months for an employer.
BAL Analysis: The Work and Holiday Visas provide an opportunity for employers with global programs to employ Australian or Ecuadorian nationals.
This alert has been provided by BAL Australia. For additional information, please contact email@example.com.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.