Turkey: Regulations for New Permanent Work Permit Category Introduced
Regulations for the Turquoise Card, a new permanent work category for eligible investors, researchers and other highly-skilled foreign nationals, have been published. A new online application system is expected to be implemented soon. The regulations generally outline the new category's eligibility criteria and related filing information. More details are expected from the Directorate soon.
Regulations for the Turquoise Card, a new permanent work category for eligible investors, researchers and other highly-skilled foreign nationals, have been published. A new online application utilizing the current system should also be implemented soon. The regulations generally reiterate the new category's validity period, eligibility criteria and filing information.
The following categories of foreign nationals are eligible to apply for the Turquoise Card:
• Highly-qualified employees will be evaluated on their educational, salary, foreign language and professional experience;
• Foreign nationals will be evaluated on the amount they invest into the Turkish economy, level of exports, number of employees, strategic need of sector, location of investment and the nature of intellectual or industrial property rights of their investment;
• Scientists and researchers will be evaluated on their level of education and prestige of their educational institution, the intellectual property created, the level of innovation, their professional titles and their sector's strategic importance to Turkey;
• Nationally or internationally recognized athletes or artists; and
• Specialists who promote Turkey or Turkish culture who can prove the influence of their promotional activities.
Turquoise Card applications can be filed abroad or in Turkey, depending on the immigration status of the applicant.
Turquoise Cards will be issued for an indefinite term following a three-year conditional period, and will generally grant the same rights as those accorded to Turkish citizens. Dependents of Turquoise Card holders will be eligible for a residence permit.
Turquoise Card holders will be required to file an annual status report to the Directorate. Details on the content of the status report are expected to be published soon.
Turquoise Cards holders who remain outside of Turkey for more than six months will have their Card cancelled, with some exceptions.What this Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals
Eligible foreign nationals should benefit from this new work permit category since it does not require a third-party sponsor and it offers an unlimited stay after the conditional period is over. Interested parties should contact their immigration professional for more information about the online application system.
Fragomen worked closely with the Bener Law Office in Istanbul to prepare this alert. It is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.