India - The Schengen Area: Travelers urged to finalize summer travel plans early
What is the change? Officials are expecting a rush of visa applications from those traveling out of India during the summer.
What does the change mean? Those planning travel outside of India, particularly those traveling to Schengen Area countries, should be sure to leave plenty of time to apply for and obtain the appropriate visa. Foreign nationals applying for Schengen Area visas should build 25 to 30 days into their schedules for booking visa appointments.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: All visas for people traveling abroad from India, in particular Schengen “C” Visas.
- Who is affected: Foreign nationals requiring a visa to travel from India during the summertime, in particular those planning travel to Schengen Area countries.
- Impact on processing times: Visa processing times are expected to be significantly delayed in the lead-up to and during the summer.
- Business impact: Businesses may need to adjust timelines if travelers are delayed due to the rush on visas.
Background: Every summer, consulates and visa centers experience a rush on visas, as Indian nationals and residents plan travel while school is out. The delays can be particularly acute for Schengen visas.
BAL Analysis: Visa processing times vary, depending on the country an applicant is traveling to and when he or she is traveling. Applicants are urged to finalize their travel dates well in advance, if possible, and work with their BAL professional to make sure they leave enough time to apply for and obtain the appropriate visa.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in India. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.