QATAR/GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL (June 12, 2017) – Qatar says nationals of countries that have cut ties may remain
The number of countries that cut ties with Qatar continue to grow
IMPACT – MEDIUM
Qatar’s state news agency said Saturday that authorities will allow nationals of countries that have cut ties with Qatar to remain in the country. Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates set up hotlines for some families that may be affected by the dispute. Kuwait and other countries tried to mediate, but the number of countries to cut ties with Qatar continued to grow over the weekend.
According to available public statements and international media reports:
Background: As BAL reported last week, the Gulf countries leading this initiative accuse Qatar of supporting terrorist groups including al-Qaida and ISIS. Qatar’s Foreign Ministry called the accusations “baseless” and said the blockade had “no legitimate justification.” Qatar has maintained a rocky relationship with its GCC co-members for almost two decades, but the rift has widened in recent months over several issues. Qatar criticized the anti-Iran rhetoric following U.S. President Donald Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia; soon after, the UAE and other GCC countries cut access to media from Doha-based Al Jazeera.
BAL Analysis: The Qatari diplomatic crisis continues to evolve and may change quickly. BAL is following developments and will alert clients to any additional changes or restrictions. Those planning travel to or from the countries involved in the crisis may wish to check with their airline in advance.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney. Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP.Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.