SINGAPORE – Online permanent residency application process to launch
The e-PR system will improve the application process and eliminate the need to wait for an appointment and make a trip to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority counter to submit paper documents.
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Singapore will launch an online permanent residency applications process that will replace the manual process Dec. 18.
What does the change mean? The new electronic permanent residency system, known as e-PR, will allow applicants to submit the application and supporting documents electronically without needing to make an appointment with Immigration and Checkpoints Authority. The current system is no longer accepting appointments beyond Dec. 18.
- Implementation time frame: Dec. 18.
- Visas/permits affected: Permanent resident applications.
- Who is affected: Foreign nationals applying for permanent residency in Singapore.
- Impact on processing times: The e-PR system should streamline the application process, although the review period will remain four to six months.
- Business impact: Applicants will no longer need to submit documents in person at Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.
- Next steps: Applicants who already have an appointment before Dec. 18 are not affected and will hand submit their documents at their appointments. New applicants will be able to apply under the new system starting Dec. 18.
Background: Applicants will be able to access the e-PR system on Dec. 18 using their SingPass/2FA verification. A new government filing fee of 100 Singapore dollars (about US$74) will be applicable plus 20 Singapore dollars for the Re-Entry Permit if the e-PR application is approved.
BAL Analysis: The e-PR system will improve the application process and eliminate the need to wait for an appointment and make a trip to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority counter to submit paper documents.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group in Singapore. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.