BRAZIL – Electronic visas soon available to Australian visitors
The introduction of the online visa system is consistent with Brazil’s initiatives to streamline immigration services and will reduce processing times and improve travel for Australian business and tourist visitors.
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Brazil will introduce an electronic temporary entry visa next week for Australian visitors.
What does the change mean? The visas will be issued within 72 hours of request and will be available to Australian tourists and business travelers.
- Implementation time frame: Nov. 21.
- Visas/permits affected: Visitor visa: tourism, business and transit
- Who is affected: Australian passport holders visiting Brazil for tourism or business.
- Impact on processing times: The electronic visas will save time for travelers, as they will not need to apply at a Brazilian consulate or visa center.
- Business impact: The change is aimed at attracting tourists and business visitors.
- Next steps: Australian citizens may begin to apply online Nov. 21.
Background: In January, Brazil announced the electronic visa system, which will also include nationals of the U.S., Canada and Japan. Eligible travelers will be able to apply online and receive an electronically issued visa within 48 to 72 hours. The anticipated launch dates for the other three nationals are in January 2018.
BAL Analysis: The introduction of the online visa system is consistent with Brazil’s initiatives to streamline immigration services and will reduce processing times and improve travel for Australian business and tourist visitors.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group in Brazil. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.