CHINA/SWEDEN – Biometrics required for visa applicants in Stockholm and Gothenburg
Applicants should prepare for the additional steps and anticipate that Chinese embassies in other locations are likely to implement biometric visas as they have rapidly gained popularity in recent years.
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Starting Friday, the Chinese Embassy in Sweden will require that visa applicants in Stockholm and Gothenburg provide biometrics and submit a new online form.
What does the change mean? Applicants will be required to appear in person at a pre-booked appointment to have their fingerprints scanned and collected at the Chinese Visa Application Service Centers in the two cities. The biometric scans must be renewed every five years.
- Implementation time frame: Dec. 1.
- Visas/permits affected: All Chinese visas.
- Who is affected: Applicants ages 14 to 70 applying for Chinese visas in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
- Business impact: Employees and assignees applying for visas should be aware of the additional requirement.
- Next steps: Applicants must submit scanned fingerprints and fill out an online form at www.visaforchina.org
BAL Analysis: Applicants should prepare for the additional steps and anticipate that Chinese embassies in other locations are likely to implement biometric visas as they have rapidly gained popularity in recent years.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.