Venezuela: Passport Appointments Suspended Indefinitely
Passport appointments in Venezuela are suspended indefinitely due to a lack of materials. The following Venezuelan nationals seeking to renew their passport during this issue can use the recently-implemented extension stamping process: • Those who hold a passport that expired in or after 2015, or that is not set to expire in the next six months; and • Those who started the passport renewal process prior to November 1, 2017 who must travel urgently but cannot obtain a passport due to this issue. All others must wait for this issue to be resolved in order to obtain a passport. It is not clear when this issue will be resolved.
News sources have reported that the Immigration and Passport Authority (SAIME) in Venezuela has suspended passport appointments indefinitely due to a shortage of materials to manufacture passports. Impact
- Those seeking initial passports. Venezuelan nationals seeking initial passports must wait until this issue is resolved to obtain a passport.
- Those with pending passport renewal applications. Venezuelan nationals who started the passport renewal process prior to November 1, 2017 must wait to receive their new passport. If they require a passport before the new one arrives, they can use the recently-implemented extension stamping process , and can submit a request to immigration authorities to expedite the extension by presenting proof of their imminent trip and paying a fee. Their prior request for a new passport would then be cancelled.
Those seeking to renew their passport during this issue. Eligible Venezuelan nationals who need to submit a passport renewal application during this issue may be able to renew their passport by utilizing the above extension stamping process.
Who is eligible for extension stamping.
- Venezuelan nationals who hold a passport that is not set to expire in the next six months; and
- Venezuelan nationals who hold a passport that expired in or after 2015.
Who is not eligible for extension stamping.
- Those who hold a passport that expired prior to 2015. They must wait for this issue to be resolved to renew their passport.
- Who is eligible for extension stamping.
Since the shortage has not officially been confirmed by SAIME, no timeline has been given for when it will be resolved. Fragomen will continue to monitor this situation and will report on relevant updates.
This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to email@example.com.