CANADA – Visa limitations removed on Bulgarian, Romanian nationals
Bulgarian and Romania nationals making business trips to Canada will benefit from the faster eTA procedures.
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Canada has removed visa limitations on Bulgarian and Romanian nationals.
What does the change mean? Bulgarian and Romanian nationals no longer need to apply for a visa at a Canadian consulate and may now apply for an electronic travel authorization, or eTA, before traveling to Canada.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate. The change took effect Dec. 1.
- Visas/permits affected: eTAs.
- Who is affected: Bulgarian and Romanian nationals traveling to Canada for visits of up to six months for business, tourism or study.
- Impact on processing times: Generally, eTAs are approved online within minutes.
- Business impact: The change broadens the use of eTAs to all Bulgarian and Romanian nationals and will facilitate business travel from the two countries.
- Next steps: Travelers may apply for an eTA at the Canadian government’s website.
Background: Since May, Canada has allowed Bulgarian and Romanian nationals to use the faster eTA only if they held a Canadian visa in the previous 10 years or hold a current and valid U.S. visa. The eTA is now available to all Bulgarian and Romanian citizens.
BAL Analysis: Bulgarian and Romania nationals making business trips to Canada will benefit from the faster eTA procedures.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2017 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.