CANADA – Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program quota gets an increase
The increase in nominations will provide additional opportunities under this popular program.
IMPACT - MEDIUM
What is the change? Canada has set its allocation for the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program at 6,600 nominations, an increase of 600 over last year’s allocation.
What does the change mean? The online application system has reopened and is accepting applications for several streams of the OINP. In addition, the program will resume issuing Notifications of Interest (NOIs) to applicants who qualify for Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: Nominations under OINP.
- Who is affected: Foreign nationals seeking permanent residence under several streams within the OINP.
- Impact on processing times: As in previous years, applicants under any of the Ontario Express Entry streams must receive an NOI and have 45 days to apply to the OINP. This NOI is issued within the Express Entry application management system to those who meet the province’s criteria for the Ontario Human Capital Priorities Stream, the Ontario French Speaking Skilled Worker and the Ontario Skilled Trades streams; who are already in the pool of eligible EE candidates; and who have indicated in their profiles that they are interested in residing permanently in Ontario.
- Business impact: Individuals with a provincial nomination earn an additional 600 points toward their Express Entry ranking, increasing their chances of being issued an invitation to apply for permanent residency.
- Next steps: Applicants must apply online at the OINP page.
Background: The following streams of the OINP are open for applications:
- Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker Stream
- Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream
- Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream
- Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream
- Ontario’s Express Entry French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
- Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream
- Corporate Stream
- Entrepreneur Stream
Updates will be provided on the OINP webpage when the program begins accepting applications for the Masters Graduate and Ph.D. Graduate Streams.
BAL Analysis: The increase in nominations will provide additional opportunities under this popular program. Interested applicants should apply as early as possible, as the intake of applications is expected to exceed the quota and the program will stop accepting applications once the quota is filled.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.