Kazakhstan: Entry Pass Required to Access Border Areas
Effective March 1, 2018, the Migration Police will introduce a requirement for foreign nationals to procure an entry pass to access border areas. Affected foreign nationals will have to submit an application to the Migration Police. This process can take up to seven days, but does not require a personal appearance.
Effective March 1, 2018, the Migration Police will introduce a requirement for foreign nationals to procure an entry pass to access border areas. Employers sending foreign workers to border areas, or employers located in border areas, are most affected by this new rule.
A closer look
- Affected areas. Foreign nationals should obtain entry passes to access any border areas, but the new requirement is being strictly enforced in the Chinarevskoye field in the West Kazakhstan region. Moreover, the issuance of entry passes is required for foreign nationals to enter the Karachaganak field, which is also located in the border area.
- Application process. The process for obtaining an entry pass is as follows:
- Fragomen’s representative will prepare an application and send it to the employer and foreign national for signature.
- The Fragomen representative will submit the application to the Migration Police.
- The application is processed in approximately seven days, at which time the Fragomen representative will receive the pass and send it to the employer.
- Documents required. In order to obtain an entry pass, foreign nationals will have to submit a copy of their passport. They will also need to provide information regarding the duration of their stay, the name of their employer and their position within it, and their address abroad.
Impact for employers and foreign nationals
There may be delays in foreign nationals entering the affected areas of Kazakhstan due to the additional steps required to obtain an entry pass. Foreign nationals who plan to enter the Karachaganak or Chinarevskoye fields can arrange to have a pass obtained in advance.
This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.