Residence Rights to Same-Sex Spouses in EU Granted

Court of Justice Rules That EU Countries Must Grant Residence Rights to Same-Sex Spouses of EU Nationals

Go to the profile of Fragomen
Jun 29, 2018
Upvote 0 Comment

EU nationals moving to another EU country can now sponsor their same-sex spouse as a dependent in any EU country. 

The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that when an EU national has moved to a second EU country with a same-sex spouse and applies for residence rights there, the second EU country must recognize the same-sex marriage conducted in the other EU country and grant residence rights, even if the latter country does not allow same-sex marriage under national law. 

Go to the profile of Fragomen


Immigration Alerts, Fragomen

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP, Fragomen Global LLP and affiliates, (collectively known as “Fragomen Worldwide”) is the world’s largest firm dedicated to corporate immigration, and is recognized as the leading global immigration services provider.

No comments yet.