Australia: Work and Holiday programme to include Israel, Singapore
Australia and Singapore have entered into an agreement for a reciprocal Work and Holiday visa programme. Australia’s Work and Holiday programme for Israeli nationals, agreed to in 2014, will commence as of 1 June 2016.
What does the change mean? Beginning 1 June, 500 Work and Holiday visas will be available to Australian and Israeli nationals, ages 18 to 30, to travel, live, work and study in each other’s countries. Australia and Singapore agreed to a similar arrangement, but no implementation date has been announced.
- Implementation time frame: The Work and Holiday arrangement between Australia and Israel will take effect 1 June 2016; no date has been announced for the Work and Holiday arrangement between Australia and Singapore.
- Visas/permits affected: Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) visas.
- Who is affected: Eligible Australian, Israeli and Singaporean nationals.
- Business impact: Employers may hire Work and Holiday visa holders for short-term work.
- Next steps: The Australia-Israeli programme is set to take effect 1 June. The Australian and Singaporean governments must finalise procedures before opening the application period. The Australian Government also announced that it would soon introduce a long-term, multiple-entry visitor visa for Singaporean nationals visiting Australia and said additional information will be forthcoming.
Background: Australia has Work and Holiday visa arrangements with a number of countries, including Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, the United States and Uruguay. Australia signed an agreement with Vietnam last year and with Hungary in February 2016, neither programme has taken effect yet.
BAL Analysis: The Work and Holiday program is very popular, and interested applicants should apply as soon as the application period opens.
This alert has been provided by BAL Australia. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please email@example.com.
About Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP
Founded in 1980, Berry Appleman & Leiden (BAL) provides comprehensive global immigration services from seven offices across the U.S. and from offices in Geneva, London, Melbourne, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Sydney. BAL manages global visa matters and customized application approaches for work permits, business visas, and residence permits in more than 100 countries. With a single cost center for worldwide operations, BAL offers centralized management with regional and local support for the complete spectrum of global immigration matters.
Source:Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP