FEM participants contributed to an analysis at the May 2015 Melbourne Chapter, Measuring ROI in Mobility. The aim of the networking breakfast was to hear the results from the analysis and to spearhead an interactive discussion around building a metrics framework to track mobility impact on the workforce and the business.
Lorraine Jennings from Mercer facilitated the discussion and the slide presentation was shared with those corporates that attended. While the GM function is to facilitate the movement of assignees compliantly and cost effectively; there is an increasing need to take on a more strategic role, becoming a trusted advisor to business, working closely with Talent Management, establishing metrics and tracking ROI.
Sharing of Mercer Survey from 2016. Almost half of the respondents are now keeping track of turnover in repatriated employees, another 10% of companies use metrics to track success / results of assignments but only 3.6% have established how to determine ROI for assignments.
Recap of Previous ROI Session
Four box model used to drive the questions:
- What contribution does an organisation/business expect from each of the 4 segments whilst on assignment?
- Emerging/High Potential Talents - International learning and development to grow the next generation of leaders
- Career-Building Volunteers - (e.g., Generation Y) International experience to fulfill personal life objectives (opportunistic, employee-drive moves)
- Strategic Business Leaders - Fill mission-critical roles and deliver specific, strategic business results
- Seasoned Technical Experts - Providing specialist skill, resource or expertise to fill local gap; complete specific project or task
- What is the business and developmental value in each of the segments?
- What does a successful completion of assignment look like?
- From a business perspective
- From a personal/developmental perspective
We defined business and individual outcomes, Ddefined metrics against business and individual outcome, as well as worked towards designing a framework that will provide a menu of metrics using:
- Growth Plans
- Talent Management
- Career Development
- Succession Planning
- Employee Retention
- Diversity Targets
Want to know more about the Melbourne Chapter Meeting or receive updates on future events? Please email Aysegul Kayahan