FEM Belgium Chapter Meeting 02/12/16
Please join us for the FEM Belgium Chapter Meeting on December 2.
Europe Is Your Playground: Social Security Benefits for Mobile Employees
Social security coverage, i.e. the benefits as counterpart for contributions to a mandatory social security scheme, is close to every employee’s daily life as it guarantees protection in case (s)he is confronted with sickness, unemployment, childcare, disability, old-age, ... As there is no pan-European social security scheme in place, every EU country has maintained its own national system with its own characteristics. EU legislation coordinates social security benefits in cross-border cases. It is important for employers to have a view on the main dynamics of this legislation.
In this session, we will focus on the coordination of social security benefits in the EU by exploring the general principles and by touching upon some specific provisions per benefit:
- What are the entitlements to medical care upon a short stay in a country versus a shift of residence to another country? Did you know that an employee can go to a doctor in every EU country and still be reimbursed?
- Which country should pay sickness allowances to an incapacitated employee?
- Where is a frontier worker entitled to unemployment benefits after dismissal?
- What if employee and spouse are both entitled to child allowances in different countries?
- How is legal pension build-up guaranteed after an international career?
We will conclude the session by debating some hot topics in the field of international social security (i.a. regarding social security treatment of stock options in a cross-border situation and business travel of seconded employees).
Filip Van Overmeiren, Lawyer at Laga
Friday, December 2, 2016
3pm-3.30pm Welcome & registration
3.30-4.30pm General update and presentation
Location and Host:
Berkenlaan 8A, 1831 Diegem, Belgium
- Complimentary to Corporate HR.
- €120 for global mobility suppliers, per person, assuming the supplier has a valid Supplier Membership of €400