Taiwan: Employment Gold Card Launched
• A new visa category offers qualified professionals a work permit, residence visa, alien residency permit and re-entry permit in Taiwan. • Eligible foreign nationals can apply for the Employment Gold Card online.
The Employment Gold Card visa category has been introduced in Taiwan.
A closer look
- Eligibility. Foreign nationals in the following fields are eligible to apply:
- Science and technology;
- Law; and
- Architectural design.
Further legislation will be enacted soon that will provide further details on eligibility rules.
- The card offers a work permit, residence visa, alien residency permit and re-entry permit, all in one card from one application process. No other visa category offers such a combined result from a single process.
- Eligibility for a discount in income tax.
- Card holders’ direct descendants can apply for a visitor visa, which allows multiple entries and is valid for stays of up to six months, with a total stay not exceeding one year.
- Application process. Qualified professionals or their employers or agents can apply online for the card.
- Validity. The Employment Gold Card is valid for one to three years, depending on the applicant, and foreign nationals can re-apply in country for a new Employment Gold Card 30 days prior to the expiry date of their current card.
On October 31, 2017, Taiwan’s legislature passed the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professional Talent to attract and retain more international professionals in Taiwan. Among the ten new incentives introduced was the Employment Gold Card.
This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to HKInitiations@fragomen.com.