CAN YOU CLAIM UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS IF YOU WORK IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AND WANT TO RETURN TO SPAIN?
One of the measures that Spain has adopted to facilitate the return of nationals living abroad is the possibility for them to have access to the same benefits recognized to nationals living in Spain
Within a framework of equal rights, recognizing them the right to compute in Spain the years contributed in another country, in order to have access to the different benefits provided by the Law, such as retirement, disability or unemployment benefits. As regards the latter (generally known as "unemployment"), it will be sufficient to prove, together with other requirements, the return to Spain from another country, since this situation in itself is part of the legal causes of unemployment required by the Law.
In particular, once a Spanish citizen has returned to Spain from the United Kingdom and in the event that he/she cannot find a job, he/she may apply for unemployment benefits, provided that he/she complies with certain requirements established by law:
- To have Spanish nationality;
- Be in a legal situation of unemployment (for example: dismissal, termination of contract, cessation or simply return from abroad);
- Be registered as a job seeker, remain registered while receiving the benefit, be available to actively seek employment, comply with the activity commitment;
- Have paid contributions in Spain for a minimum period of 360 days within the six years prior to the date of emigration, and that these contributions have not been taken into account to access a previous benefit.
- Not to be receiving another similar benefit in another country;
- Not to have reached the ordinary age required in each case to access the retirement benefit, unless it is not possible to access it because the required contribution period has not been reached.
- DURATION AND AMOUNT:
The duration depends on the contributions made within the 6 years prior to the date of emigration, provided that they have not been taken into account for a previous benefit.
In the case of part-time work, each day is considered as one day of contributions, regardless of the working day.
|QUOTED DAYS||BENEFIT DAYS||IN MOUNTHS|
|From 360 to 539||120||4|
|From 540 to 719||180||6|
|From 720 to 899||240||8|
|From 900 to 1079||300||10|
|From 1080 to 1259||360||12|
|From 1260 to 1439||420||14|
|From 1440 to 1619||480||16|
|From 1620 to 1799||540||18|
|From 1800 to 1979||600||20|
|From 1980 to 2159||660||22|
The daily amount of the unemployment benefit during the first six months is 70% of the regulatory base (calculated according to the occupational contingency bases of the last 180 days of contributions, except for overtime), and 50% from day 181 until the end of the benefit.
- WHEN AND WHERE TO PROCESS IT:
It is important to take into account that the registration as a job seeker in the corresponding employment office by domicile, within fifteen working days following the date of return from abroad (it is advisable to provide the return ticket or other document that justifies it).